Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Comment on "Is This Country Actually Anti-Gun Control?"

Reading through my classmates' blogs, I stumbled across a post that caught my eye titled "Is This Country Actually Anti-Gun Control?" by Jacob Greenly. My peer analyzes the United States's reaction to the Orlando shooting to support that although American citizens are not actually anti-gun control, United States politicians are. 
My colleague states that Democrats are arguing for the discussion of gun regulation bills, while Republicans are focusing on who's to blame for these recurring killings rather than finding a solution. He addresses this widening gap between Democrats and Republicans in response to the Orlando shooting, asserting that America is land divided by guns. He then states that Republicans are anti-gun control because they are funded by the National Rifle Association. My classmate then moves to critique this reasoning and argues that if politicians want these massacres to stop, they must accept that although there may be consequences, standing up for what is best for the country will be worthwhile in the long run
However, this country is not made up of solely politicians. There are every day citizens like you and I and my colleague moves to address what the people want by citing the results of a poll conducted by Pew Research Center to not only prove that the people are not anti-gun control, but also to prove that he has the credibility and knowledge to address this topic. Furthermore, my peer comments on how the American citizens are more unified than the people they elected to represent them and that clearly, politicians must focus on stopping these massacres because that's what the people demand. Therefore, I completely agree with my colleague. Money may be important, but is it worth risking millions of lives for? Does politician greed really surpass the importance of American lives? 

No comments: